If you have a cough and feel lousy, you may have bronchitis, a form of chest congestion. Bronchitis can be caused by a bacterial infection and it is possible to last 3-6 weeks. The bronchials are tubes from your respiratory tract down to your lungs. If they get infected, they fill up with mucus. Sometimes it is difficult to expel the mucus and it rattles around making your breath sound wheezy.
Mustard pack for chest congestion
Hot mustard powder, applied in a paste and over a cloth, can help warm up the area, loosen the mucus and make it easier to clear the bronchials. A 20 minute treatment easily done in your own home. It really heats things up, so be sure to follow directions carefully and to avoid a burn, always use a material between your skin and the mustard.
You will need:
- 1 TBSP ground mustard (fresh – bought within the year) Keens brand works great.
- 4 TBSP flour (gluten free if need be)
- warm water
- coconut or almond oil
- thin cotton cloth (clean cotton sheet, old t-shirt or pillow case will do)
- hand towel
- Mix the mustard, flour and enough warm water to make a paste.
- Apply a thin layer of coconut or almond oil to the chest or back (which ever you are going to apply the pack)
- Lay a thin sheet of cotton cloth over the chest or back area (it will absorb a little oil)
- Apply a thin coat of mustard paste on top of the cotton sheet. Note that mustard paste direct on skin will burn.
- Warm a towel in hot water, wring out excess. Test on inside of wrist for comfort, then apply over the mustard pack.
- Check the skin periodically and if red or irritated, remove pack right away and wash skin with warm water.
- Start with a shorter duration to test for sensitivity; leave on up to 20 minutes maximum.
- Once removed, wash area thoroughly.
- Repeat on reverse side (front or back)
The content of this post is not medical advice. Please use at your own risk. If symptoms persist there are many natural ways to help the body. Book an appointment for an assessment. You may like acupuncture, plant based medicines or other types of therapy offered through naturopathic medicine.
Naturopathic Medicine exists to strengthen and encourage optimal health. It is a practice that addresses the fundamentals of disease. It honours and cooperates with the healing power of nature.
If you seek a caring professional who is a registered naturopathic doctor in Guelph with a functional medicine approach, you’ve come to the right place. Dr. Laura M. Brown can help anyone residing in the province of Ontario.